Tuesday, September 05, 2006

RIP the Crocodile Hunter

Yesterday while I was getting ready to add my weekly post to this Blog I saw on AOL news the headline talking about Steve Irwin's death. I was shocked, surprised and sad. I went to the Animal Planet's website to find more information. When I read the circumstances in which everything had happened I was surprised that one of the big reptiles hadn't been involved in the accident. Instead it was a stingray, a species commonly known as bull ray (Myliobatis australis), 1m (3feet) in length with an estimated weight of 100kg (220 lbs). Irwin and his crew were scheduled to film a documentary off the coast of Australia but due to bad weather they had to move near the shore and decided to shoot a segment on rays for another documentary. On the shallow water while the ray was half-buried under the sand the cameraman was in front of the animal while Irwin was on top, the animal felt threatened and that's when it happened. The stingray swung its tail and the barb pierced through Irwin's chest. I just want to make clear that all this info is from articles I've been reading; I guess that with time all the details will be given. And BTW the event was captured on tape, I wonder how long will it take for this to be on the web. But when is time to go is time to go, I mean how much bad luck you need to have to get stung by a ray, for the needle to go between the ribs and then penetrate the heart...WOW!

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of this guy. For me there was too much Hollywood on him, I mean, wrestling alligators like he did for no particular reason. If you need to relocate it just do it and move on. But I guess is part of the strategy to attract an audience. When I was a kid I remember waking up early on Sundays to watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I remember the "old guy" from the show (Marlin Perkins) wrestling an anaconda in the water, for me that was amazing. But watching the clip, 20+ years later you can tell that the poor animal wasn't at his/her best. But still that show had a lot to do on what I love to do today; and I think that has been the best legacy Mr. Irwin has left, he was a modern day conservationist...used TV instead of books.

No comments: